Water-Saving Techniques for Large Bay Area Properties
Extreme drought conditions in the Bay Area are prompting local governments to urge the use of water-saving techniques for large Bay Area properties. If your business is affected by Santa Clara County water restrictions, we have the tips you need to manage usage restrictions and stretch the use of every drop of water, protecting your landscape and supporting the community in this time of need. What can you do to conserve water and meet your grounds care needs?
1. Use Commercial Irrigation at the Right Time to Control Evaporation
Santa Clara County water restrictions advise against watering during the hours of 9 am and 6 pm. Watering in the early morning and evening hours, after the sun has gone down, reduces evaporation.
2. Upgrade Irrigation Equipment for Water Conservation
Bay Area utility providers and the local and state government offer significant rebates and incentives to encourage irrigation system upgrades to water-wise options. It costs relatively little to integrate water conservation technology, and the Gachina Landscape Management team is here to help you take advantage of these incentives and maximize your investment. If you haven’t done so already, now is the time to:
- Replace your existing irrigation timer with a “smart” water controller and rain-sensing technology
- Install a landscape meter, flow sensor, or hydrometer to prevent overwatering
- Swap old nozzle technology for new high-efficiency sprinkler nozzles
- Convert your pop-up sprinklers to more efficient drip irrigation
- Integrate a rainwater capture system to reduce reliance on potable water and reduce irrigation costs
3. Let Grass Go Dormant
Hitting pause on lawn irrigation offers substantial water savings. Our water management experts know that established lawns can withstand several weeks without water. It takes only two weeks of adequate water to restore grass – just 1-inch once per week or ½-inch twice per week.
4. Upgrade to More Sustainable, Drought-Tolerant Landscaping
Convert your high water use landscape to a more water-conscious, drought-friendly design with native plants, trees, and shrubs. The cost of maintaining a beautiful, new, sustainable landscape is a mere fraction of conventional alternatives. Like irrigation system improvements, there are many rebates and incentives available to help your business make the most of its sustainable landscaping investment.
5. Integrate Ground Cover and Hardscaping for Water Savings
Replacing grass with drought-tolerant ground cover and hardscaping offers a significant reduction in water usage. Whether you need walkable turf or colorful, aesthetically pleasing alternatives, our landscape management experts can point you in the right direction.
Gachina Helps Large Bay Area Properties Conserve Water
Help your Bay Area, Palo Alto, Burlingame, San Francisco, San Jose, Pleasanton, Hayward, Fremont, Livermore, and Walnut Creek friends and neighbors manage this extreme drought. Optimize irrigation with these water-saving techniques for large Bay Area properties. A few simple changes can have a big impact. Contact Gachina Landscape Management at 650-853-0400 to learn more today.